--- Subscription Options ----------------
Subscribe to this blog via RSS

Recent Posts

Friday, August 21, 2009

USA Today reported yesterday that the recession has increased demand for publicly funded burials. Why does the government fund burials in the first place?

First, it is difficult to separate burials from religious practices. The government has no business funding religious activity.

This leaves the question of what to do when a person dies. The solution is simple - donate the body for scientific research. Hospitals, universities, and other scientific institutions are always accepting donations.

If a family cannot afford a burial or cremation, the government has no responsibility to provide one for them. A family can donate a body to science and still celebrate the life (or mourn the passing) of the deceased with a quiet, inexpensive service (minus body).

Even if money isn't a problem, donation should still be an option. Even as a man of faith, I recognize the fact that I will not care what happens to my body after I die. Respect for the dead applies only to their memory, not their bodies. I will have my body donated to science, perhaps allowing a researcher or medical student to grok my life. The loved ones I leave behind can celebrate/mourn in whatever way they see fit. The government will not have a hand in my burial (unless, of course, they kill me).

Posted by Eleutherian

Submit to Reddit
Submit to Reddit
Digg This Post
Digg
This Post
Stumble This Post
Stumble This Post
Reading: Government Should Not Fund Burials and CremationTweet This
Tweet
This Post
Add To Delicious
Add to Del.icio.us
Fave on Technorati
Fave on Technorati

0 comments

Post a Comment